This kind of problem when Excel crashes do not happen very often, but with no recovery options it can make you feel frustrated. Here is the solution that helped me and I hope you too.
1. Make a new copy of that problematic xlsm file. It is an easy way how to disable macros and make Enable Content button reappear.
2. Open that copy, but do not enable content right now.
3. Press Alt+F11.
4. Go to Tools -> References.
5. Check Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library and press OK button. Somehow that checkmark tends to get lost and causes the problems.
6. Return to Excel. Now Enable Content in macros security warning.
7. Save the file and, if you wish, replace the previous version.